Out Patient Department (OPD)
This serves as a gateway to the hospital. It runs 24/7 with a man power of 12, running 3 shifts:
- Morning shift 7: 30 am to 2: 00 pm
- Afternoon shift 2:00pm to 9:00 pm.
- Night shift 9:00pm to 7:30 am.
It is attached to the OPD. All patients coming to the hospital are received here. Some of the activities here include;
- Orientation of the patients
- Taking of vital signs
- Documentation of statistics of incoming patients.
All patients (new and old) take turns to visit the medical doctor. We have five consultation rooms that operate full time within the morning shift. However during the afternoon and night shifts, only doctor is on seat. This makes us 24/7 attentive to the clients who need our care.
Injection Room: This room serves outpatient who are prescribed parental medication.
- Dispense medication as prescribed by the doctor
- Educate patients on proper consumption of medication.
- Request medication from the main store.
- Calculate OPD bills as need arise.
- Transfer admitted patients from OPD to the nursing station for hospitalization.
Billing Office: Calculation of Patients bills.
The activities here include:
- Collection of all the financial pay from the patients.
- Ensure correct financial reports at the end of the day.
- Collect finances from the various entry points like PHC
NB: Payment of money to staff in private for services reason is unacceptable in our Institution. It is tagged bribery and corruption.
Ultrasound Room/ X-Ray Department
All the diagnostic procedures that need the use of the echography machine and x-ray machines are done here. Some of the major ones are: Thorax/ chest, Pelvis, Extremities, Hysterosalpingography, Spine, Abdomen, Skull.
Primary Health Care department
This department is charged with the health of mother and child. It is operational on daily bases; Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays for Antenatal Clinic and Wednesdays and Thursdays for Infant Welfare Clinic. Some of their activities include:
- Receiving women who come in for Ante Natal Clinic (ANC).
- Vaccination of children brought in for Infant Welfare Clinic (IWC)
- Education of the mothers on good nutrition, vaccination, hygiene, etc.
- Referring cases that need the attention of the gynecologist.
Here the midwives assist women in labour, deliver babies and offer immediate post-partum care for mother and baby. Activities include:
- Receiving the women in labour and monitoring the progress
- Calling in the doctor in case of complications
- Examining and taking care of new born babies
- Taking care of women in immediate postpartum.
This department takes care of minor and major surgeries as well as wound dressings. Key Activities in the theater include:
- Anesthetists ensure that the pre-anesthetic visits are done to certify patients’ fitness for operation.
- Maintaining the sterility of the theater and equipment
- Documentation of theater procedures
- Sending out properly recovered patients to the ward.
Medical /Nursing Department
This department operates in three different shifts:
- Morning 7:15-2pm
- Afternoon 2pm – 7:30pm
- Night 7:30pm – 7:15am
There is a nursing station which serves as the main office. Some of the nurses’ activities include:
- Administration of necessary care to all admitted patients in the wards
- Reporting to the nurses on the next shift, the progress of each patient at the end of each shift
- Carrying out related procedures necessary for the recovery of patients
- Receiving hospitalized patients from OPD
- Requesting necessary drugs from the drug store
- Receiving patients from the theater and carrying out the post-operative care
- Ensuring all registers are filled accordingly
The laboratory operates 24/7, in 3 shifts:
- Morning 7:15-2PM
- Afternoon 2pm – 7:30pm
- Night 7:30pm – 7:15am
- Receiving patients and collecting specimens
- Carrying out appropriate laboratory investigations as requested by the doctors
- Ensuring accurate results are presented to the doctors for proper management of the patient.
Dental Department: This is a newly created department on the 15th of April 2020. It is managed by two dental therapists. Here patients with dental pathologies are received and treated.
Neonatology Department: This department was blessed on the 30th of June 2020. It has a man power of 5 with 3 incubators and 4 baby cots. Sick neonates from zero to 28days as well as the premature neonates are hospitalized here.
Treatment Centre: This center takes charge of all patients diagnosed and living with HIV/AIDS. This department is managed by 13 staff employed by GTZ, EGPAF, one staff employed by the hospital.
Canteen: This department is managed on behalf of the Development Office of TSSF. It assists patients in the hospital with good food and drinks.
Cardiac consultation Unit/ Surgical Unit: As a result of the sociopolitical crises in the North and South West Regions of Cameroon, an outreach of the cardiac consultation and Surgical units were opened in St. Padre Pio Hospital in June 2019. The objective was to respond to the Cardiac /surgical needs of the patients who cannot reach Shisong.